The Interdisciplinary Summerschool on Privacy offers a very limited number of stipends, for those students that do not have their own funds to cover the registration fee. We are unfortunately not able to cover travel costs. We especially welcome early-stage scholars who have no tenured position upon applying and who currently reside in low or middle income countries. The country of residence is the country where the applicant currently lives, even if the residence is temporary.
We urge students to look for alternative sources of funding in the meantime, as the number of stipends is really limited. We would appreciate it if students that have found such alternative funding inform us of this straight away, so we can award the stipends to those students that need it most.
To apply for a stipend, please send your application by email to Jo Pierson at <email@example.com> before May 1st. Eligible applications need to contain:
- brief CV,
- motivation letter (at most 1 page) written by the student, and
- signed letter from the supervisor stating that no funds are available to cover the registration fee, and explaining why attendance to the summerschool is important to the student applying.
Notifications will be sent out by May 14th. The selected students will have two weeks (by June 1st at the latest) to confirm their acceptance after being informed of their selection. If they do not confirm within this time, the respective grant will be reassigned to another applicant. Applicants that were not awarded a stipend will be offered the opportunity to still register for the early bird registration rates within two weeks after they have been informed of the decision (by June 1st). This is subject to availability, however! To guarantee attendance applicants are advised to register for the summerschool in parallel with their application for a stipend, and cover the costs from other funds in case they are not awarded a stipend. In case the applicant that was not awarded a stipend does not register and pay the early bird registration fee within two weeks of notification (by June 1st), the registration is dropped.
All applications will be judged by at least two members of the organising committee. Applications will be ranked according to the following criteria:
- expected benefit for the applicant of attending the summerschool, based on the CV and motivation letter,
- probability of attracting alternative funding if not awarded a stipend, based on supervisor letter and general funding situation of the school/country the applicant is studying in, and
- whether awarding the application improves the gender and/or geographical balance of the summerschool.
Students awarded a stipend are expected to attend the summerschool in full and to help the organisers with small chores. Failure to comply will void the awarded stipend, in which case students will be invoiced for the registration fee afterwards.
Application deadline: May 1st 2018
Notification: May 14th 2018
Awarded applicants: confirmation attendance by June 1st 2018
Non-awarded applicants: registration and payment by June 1st 2018